Kankan

A female, American, Modern-Orthodox Jewish Humanist's thoughts on the world.

Sunday, December 14, 2014

First experience with the medical system here

Unfortunately, Lev has been sick for the last couple days-- he has been teething, and feverish. Plus, he has this cold that has been getting worse, and with it, making the fever and teething worse. So after a couple of days of this, my husband and visiting mother (yay for visiting family!) insisted that it was time to bring him to a doctor.

The first thing to know is that when I stepped in there, I didn't have any expectations, so whatever happened, I went with it, to a point. I gave the receptionist our tourist insurance, and she took it and signed Lev in. 25 minutes later, the PA woke up my sleeping child to send him through triage and weigh him, and determine that he is not really a priority for this Terem today. So we proceeded to wait for another hour and a half, until we were graced with a room. Then, more waiting for the doctor to appear. Finally, right? This is the moment! Ok- Israeli doctors are not masters of bedside manner. Not once did anyone during this whole process ask me my name. Ok- doctor checks patient, and mumbles a couple questions, complaining that I did not know what his temperature had been.

Then, doctor asks, out of no where, does Lev take barzel? I was totally thrown off by the question- I couldn't figure out why he was asking that, but he went on to check out the situation. He tells me that he will take a blood test with a finger prick. "where?" I ask. "here," he responds, annoyed by the question. More waiting. Then, after waiting with Lev for another 20 minutes, he starts to venture out of the room, and I follow him. The doctor sees me and asks me, surprised, "your still waiting?" The woman who is taking blood samples sees me, and immediately has us sit down in a completely different place for the blood test. They don't appear to have an efficient system worked out for what happens next, but eventually, they ask me to clear my stuff out of the room, since they need it, and to wait on a bench for the test results.

So, after three hours, I find out that Lev has a viral infection, but that his lungs and ears are clear- I only know about that last part because I asked specifically, and the doctor reluctantly mumbled a response.
I have heard from people that Terem is not the best place to get healthcare, but here's the thing. After all the waiting and terrible bedside manner from the doctor and inefficient system that got us a result that we should keep on giving Acamole- the Israeli version of Tylenol, to keep the fever down, something incredible happened. They printed out some helpful rules about fever and Tylenol, and then behind it, they gave me a copy of the doctor's notes, as well as the test results! What a progressive, incredible thing! While Israel has much to learn from the US, here is something that I have been wanting my whole life. Of course! We should always get a copy of our test results and the doctor's notes as part of the deal. That basically made up for all the craziness.

Lev finally got to go back to sleep after all that, and he continues to teeth and have a cold, but we're hoping he'll beat this thing soon. I wore him while I walked to Superpharm to get him some saline for his cold, as per the advice of our pediatrician back in the states on previous occasions. It's just a good thing that the air in the land of Israel heals the sick.

1 Comments:

Anonymous AS said...

I'm not sure which tourist insurance you have, but the Harel one (at least in the past) had a contract with the Wolfson family clinic which would have been a much better option than Terem. Really, terem is for situations where you need urgent care or during hours when your doctor is not available. Wolfson has a 24 hour answering service which may or may not be available on the tourist policy.

3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home