Kankan

A female, American, Modern-Orthodox Jewish Humanist's thoughts on the world.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Is a Synagogue a Place to Pray?

I was in the Upper West Side this afternoon, just before the sun was setting, and I hadn't yet davened mincha. I was right near the Carlebach shul, and while I didn't know about the shul's hours, I thought I ought to check to see if I could daven in there. I found the doors locked, and so I rang up and heard a voice call back, "Who's there?" I didn't see why that mattered, but i told him my name, and that I just wanted to daven mincha. The voice replied, "what did you say? I can't hear you." "I just want to daven mincha by myself," I told him. The unlocking-door buzzer sound, and i was set. I came in, found the light switch myself to what must be the sanctuary, took a siddur off the shelf, and I said mincha.

I was thinking of how many times I have tried to do this and have found locked doors. I passed the church down the block from the shul where I had just prayed, and I thought of the way the church is portrayed in the movies-- if a person needs to reach out to God in times of crisis, despair, or even gratitude, there is a house of prayer that is always open and available for his or her outpouring. I think Chassidic stories tend to portray the synagogue in the same way. But today, our shuls are opened for services, and that's usually it. If a person wanted to call out to God, she might have to do it in the movie theater across the street from a locked shul, in a phone booth (not a bad choice, but they're becoming more and more uncommon) or next to a tree planted in between the pavement of the sidewalk in front of the imposing, locked building. These are places I've gone to pray at times that i haven't had a house of worship available. Of course, my prayers were the same as the ones they say in synagogue during the services, mostly-- I'm just not good with timing. But what if I wanted to call out to my creator from the innermost parts of my heart.

The services are really that conducive to this kind of thing, themselves. But a locked building really kills the opportunity to use the shul as a place to connect to God within a Jewish framework. Of course, those other places also have little angels waiting to carry your prayers up to God, but this phenomenon of the locked synagogue is a missed opportunity to actually create a sacred space for all Jews at all times. Imagine a person is having a hard day, and during his lunch break, he stops into a shul at an off time and goes to rendezvous with God there. That's a pretty cool thought, no?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Sh said...

but do we really need to limit ourselves to a house of worship?

instead of your comparison to the church, i think a closer comparison might be to the mosque, and to the sight of walking down a street and seeing muslim men praying wherever they happened to be when the time came.

in my view, we need the synagogue as a place of gathering. as a place to worship god as a community. but if i need to just speak to god, he's there. id ont have to go looking for him in some building.

(not that i object to shul's being open. but technically it's a bit more difficult as the chances of theft/sabotage are much higher)

4:15 PM  
Blogger MatShul said...

Totally
I think that it is probably halachically questionable to lock up a shul and provide no way in for those who wish to play.
The shul does not belong to the board or the shul president or the rabbi but to the general community, who have a right to pray there whenever they wish.

1:44 AM  
Blogger Joels W. said...

sh makes a good point (the chances of theft/sabotage are much higher). I would add that in a place like NYC, the chances of that happening are unfortunately even higher.

Having said that, I have a bigger problem with shuls who refuse to admit anyone without membership especially during the Yamim Noraim. i have read some disturbing stories about Jews who were refused entry because they weren't members. But this is nothing new see Hillel Hazaken...

2:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home