Kankan

A female, American, Modern-Orthodox Jewish Humanist's thoughts on the world.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Dissonance and Harmony: Halakhic Man Revisited

The midrasha (Seminary) that I attended in Israel for two years had several teachers who studied in Gush. One of my favorite teachers, who liked to lead discussions about Jewish theology and philosophy with the students once told us that the mussar (moralistic instruction) that everyone gets in Gush is, "go read footnote four." Now, "footnote four" is a foot note from the end of Rav Joseph B. Soloveitchik's Halachik Man. In this footnote, the Rav berates the tendency people have to use religion as a comfort. when I first learned this, I really liked it. I believed in it. Religion is more substantial than silly comfort that people need. We're all about struggle and conflict, and how nothing comes so easy.
And so I feel guilty, today. I have a few more years of life experience, although not as many as the Rabbi who first introduced this footnote to me had at the time. However, I found myself, a couple of says ago, walking around Washington Heights and into Fort Tryon Park, where I thought up the following poem:

In Winter, Hearts are Broken

The twigs are suspended
Exposed to the cold
Night air, and I fear for them,
and for me—for I am also bare—
naked, my pride stripped
like the branches from
their leaves

I follow the lines, and I see
Hundreds of twigs lead into
dozens of these leafless branches.

The branches are strong, less susceptible
to breakage, and they all connect to the
proud trunk. The roots are sturdy—he
stands proud in the earth, even
without leaves.

I breath easier, with
nature's assurance
speaking the Creator's words
to me.

Ought I feel guilty? Jewish guilt is inevitable, I suppose. But I come today to question the Rav's whole premise. What's wrong with comfort? We are only human, and we have weaknesses, and we are affected by our experiences. And that's OK. There's no reason to deny those things, and there's certainly room to find G-d and grow in our connection Judaism through those experiences. I will allow that the entire religion ought not be about comfort exclusively, but I would like to see our experiences in life as variations on a theme, as in a piece of music, and that the dissonances only direct us and only lead our voices more directly to the home key.

In modern music, there is an effort to increase the dissonance-- Schoenberg with twelve tone music, and others with atonality. This doesn't appeal to me that much. The composers will argue, since we've seen the horrors of war that the world has witnessed, modern art and music reflect a darker, more dissonant reality. It isn't supposed to feel good. Art isn't about comfort. But I don't see why it can't be that, too. Granted, the dissonance is necessary, but it needn't take over our lives. Surely, there can still be the comfort of a 7to8 voice leading. We can still find a painting that looks like a landscape beautiful, without worrying about what terrors lay beyond the mountains, or what emotional problems the painter was compensating for by painting with those colors. Life can still be cheerful, and people optimistic, can't we? Or have we all grown old and cynical with the world, only impressed by complexity and conflict?

I am interested to hear what people think about this. Please share your thoughts.

3 Comments:

Blogger LauMil said...

Read Freud's The Future of an Illusion and Moses and Monotheism. The Rav and Freud might agree on some points.

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jewish guilt is 100% not inevitable (although it takes desire and time, a long time even, to overcome it). It's counterproductive. It's to our detriment. That's a general truth. Even for things that really require teshuva, that just means recognizing, regretting, and resolving to do the right thing in the future. (Which we might need to do many times even in one day.) That's in general. In particular here, there's nothing to regret or feel guilty about at all. Yes, there is darkness, yes, there is dissonance, but there is also light and there is also harmony. It's no more truthful to negate the latter than it is to negate the former. Goodness in the world is not just an illusory comfort, a feel-good story, a lollipop to distract you-- it's real. On the contrary, if you really want to feel guilty, instead of feeling guilty about why you aren't embracing enough dissonance, you ought to feel guilty about why you aren't embracing the good nearly as much as you already embrace the dissonance. HaShem sees good in the world. Shouldn't the good be good in our eyes? Think about it :)

Mi-lev amiti hamevakesh tovatech b'emet.

Michael

5:54 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

hey ellie, there seems to be a bit of a dialectic within your relgious persona. In this blog you seem to be adopting a very "fluffy" approach to relgion. However, in the blog about your interview for your trip to Winnapeg your much more focused on real issues and the depths of relgion and relgious lifestyle - which is useally a product of a intellectually honost and searching relgious personality. Just pointing out the dichotamy. And yes, i know im "behind the times"

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home