Kankan

A female, American, Modern-Orthodox Jewish Humanist's thoughts on the world.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Disconnected

Two and a half weeks ago, I ended an eleven month relationship. Since then, I've been feeling disconnected. I felt very connected to one person, and this seemed to take over my whole self, such that I don't even feel ties to anyone or anything anymore. My family, my closest friends, my favorite books and music all seem strange to me. The self that once related to all these people no longer feels that she is the same self, but instead, a new, different self.
So in some ways, it isn't the family and friends who are the strangers, but instead it is me.
I've chosen to start a blog instead of just writing into my computer and leaving it there, because, I, like many writers poets and musicians need to be acknowledged by readers and listeners. So anyone who wants to comment on this blog, you will be doing a big mitzvah, giving me a reason to live-- something to which I can be connected.
Why the title? Kankan was the name I chose for my band, where I am the drummer, but my fellow band-members recently insisted we abandon for something else, still undecided. I feel it is my duty to preserve this name. Why Kankan? Kankan means vessel. The phrase from Pirkei Avot, Ethics of Our Fathers, "Al tistakel bikankan, ela b'ma sheyesh bo" means, to not examine the container, but rather what is in it. Basya Schechter once sang a song with these words at a Mima'amakim event, and I was with my Bass player, and I said to her, "That's it! Kankan!"
People don't get it-- they all asked me, Do you, or don't you want us to look past your externals? Fair question. I think I liked this name so much because it has implications of looking past externals, but in some way, what you see is what you get.
I think that I developed a lot of my ideas in college and since then about looking at medium and externals to understand things about the world. A composer might want to express elation, but he needs to work in the right modulation and chord progression with voice leading etc. Technique in writing poetry either inhibits expression or allows for communication. I think I had the sense before that one's thoughts were all she needed. But the kankan is the way we get through life in this world.
Similarly, Chasidic masters have described a person as inherently a soul, and the body as a vessel that merely contains the true self. But psychology today has shown us that so much of our minds (perhaps discussion of the soul should be saved for another time) is manipulated and arranged by chemical reactions in the brain. additionally, our whole lives, we're constantly being affected by how people react to us, which is largely a response to our physical appearance. Studies show that babies who smile more are paid more attention by adults, and then that will affect them forever. Al tistakel bikankan? Ha! Whether we like it or not, we are the Kankan.
But I'm still convinced that I have some inherent thought or feelings that make me acceptable-- even without the fancy externals. It's been ingrained it me. Any thoughts? Please! Feel free to share your thoughts on this matter, or anything else.

12 Comments:

Blogger Ellie said...

I realized that mabakankan is probably misspelled, and it should be mabikankan. Does anyone know for sure? Also could I could change it without erasing this whole blog thus far? Let me know.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellie- I like. Thanks for giving me another reason not to do my paper.
Failing my class never looked so good.
come over for some eggdrop soup

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellie!!! Don't worry, I'll give you a reason to live!! We have a basketball game coming up next week that we need to practise for.. call me!
-Marina

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nah, it's mabakankan (מַה בַּקַּנְקַן), patach/dagesh in the kuf, if you mean to use a definite article (the vessel).

and furthermore, here's someone else who appreciates your waking up each day :)

3:05 PM  
Blogger S said...

hey ellie,
i really like your blog thus far, but I dont think it should be a reason to live. or at least i don't think that people commenting should be giving you a reason to live. the internet is a very problematic medium for real connection-although it does sometimes feel like it fills a certain niche. honestly: the only way I think blogging can work is if you would find it worthwhile even if noone was commenting, because you can never count on comments, just because people are often busy, lazy etc...although it doesnt mean they are not reading, and enjoying!

9:45 PM  
Blogger Ellie said...

Sarah-- thank you for your comments. I agree with you, that I should like to write without the responses. However, as part of my healing process, I think that ANY interaction with people-- particularly in a context that is supportive, is helpful.
The blog cannot be my only reason to live. That would be really sad. Some people fudge more than they tell the truth when they write.
I find writing to be a phenomenal way for me to expose what is deep inside of me. I think more clearly and am more expressive when I write than most other times. The blog gives me an opportunity to be as honest as possible with myself and with others.
And if they respond, then it makes my day.

1:10 AM  
Blogger Nem said...

Ellie,
Great first post! You make a good point (in your comment) about "thinking more clearly" when writing. I often find that I become more aware of what I think and believe when I try to put it into words for someone else.

P.S. I'm still here for you (emotionally) during your "healing process", though I'll physically be back in another week.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your discussion between seeing the form and the essence of things is very profound. I believe that the vessil itself can be given value if used to hold something of value. the gemarah in shabbos says that if someone carries a kli holding less than a shiur of besamim he is patur for hozhah. This is true dispite the fact that carrying the vessel without the bsamim would entail a violation. The vessel can become batel to that which it holds. The human body can be elevated beyond the mundain through connection to something transendental.
I have more thoughts on this but I'll save them for later.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellie,Getting over a relationship can take a long adjustment period and shifting.How about yoga,pilates, meditation, or some other way to get inside andfind calm and peace.( baking-not quite inside,butbeing present instead of thinking).talk to you later,love,mom

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellie you are such an amaazing person please don't be depressed. I want to tell you you are inspiring to people, so I would never imagine you would need inspiration, but if you do, just look at your family, your family is in inspiration for many people (people that are invited to come to experience shabbos, your friends, etc. ). I think you may benefit from reconnecting to your family, especially if you feel so severed from them right now.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found your Journal while searching for something randomely. This piece is quite raw emotionally and really engaging. You did a great job expressing yourself.

12:55 PM  
Blogger GiveReal said...

KanKan also could be interpreted to mean "Here Here!" as in I'll drink to that.

The self-estrangement you describe is one of the most difficult aspects there is to being a human being... however, there is a ZEN Koun that may shed some enlightenment (ha ha). It is as follows:

A new student at the Zen monastery comes to The Master and tells him that he is ready to receive enlightenment. The Master asks him:

"Are you finished eating your rice porridge?"
"Yes," the student replies.
"Then you had better wash your bowl."

Sometimes the bowl/vessel/Kankan needs to be cleaned, especially if it is about to be dunked in the mikvah and especially especially especially if it's going to be used for the Shabbos Meal on Erev Shabbos. That process may be difficult, but it's just making room for the vessel to hold new and even loftier lights.

BTW - I was at that Mima'amakim concert too, that was the first time I heard Basya Schechter and Pharaoh's Daughter play. That was one of the best concerts I've ever been to in my life and I am certain that I will remember it to my dying day.

The song I remember most was the one about Mashiach's Goblet. What follows is an excerpt from the fan e-mail I wrote to Basya that night /early morning after the concert:

"I could almost see Mashiach coming, dancing joyously with his goblet full of wine to take us all home. I know the tune from Chava Alberstein (unless I’m mixing it up), but she sings her song in the exact opposite direction (darkness, uncertainty) so hearing yours was like taking all of us who have fallen so low and raising us up to heaven, or bringing heaven down, I can never tell which is which."

Amen, Ken Yehi Ratzon.

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home